Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Thanksgiving

Turkey Trot 

  My Thanksgiving started off a bit early this year, as I had to run the 10k Turkey Trot on Wednesday since there was school on Thursday and two separate feasts to attend.
  On Wednesday after school, it was that muggy type of day that just drains the life right out of you.  I waited until sunset to begin my run and was immediately greeted by several obstacles: construction on the sidewalk that made me run side by side with oncoming traffic, big ditches and sand piles scattered throughout the way, hordes of tourists and locals lazily making their way in the opposite direction and taking up the whole sidewalk, crashing waves of salt water sprayed at me and the cement, making it a slippery place to run, and, of course, the heat.  Added onto all that were the wonderful aromas of car/bus exhaust, a hint of rain, fish, and occasionally, that high-inducing smell of pot.  It just puts an extra bounce in one's step, you know?
  Now, you may believe that I'm making excuses for my poorest time yet (and you may be right), but the biggest one is yet to come.  Not having a vehicle to measure exactly five kilometers from my house to Bocagrande, I used Google Maps.  Well, the only option was a driving route that went a block or so out of the way.  Being the honest person I am, I added on an extra block on my run, not realizing that it was more like two blocks each way.  That's right: I went over 10k.  Just saying.
  Unfortunately, I was unable to get under an hour.  There was no way I could pick up my speed much at the end.  This was after drinking over three liters of water throughout the day.  My body refused to let me kill myself with heat exhaustion.  Alas, my time was 1:02:50, and it was quite the relief to get it over with.  As much as I missed the camaraderie of torturing myself with hundreds of other people and family members, I kept the tradition alive and halfway enjoyed myself in the process.

Thanksgiving Day

  After teaching for half a day on Thursday, the students went home, and the school provided the staff with a fancy Thanksgiving feast.  The cafeteria was decked out, and it was a good time stuffing ourselves with the delicious fare.  They served a variety of foods, including mashed squash, veggies, meatloaf, turkey, mashed potatoes, and dessert: pecan pie or flan.  (I, of course, waited for the pecan pie.)  When everyone was finished eating, the buses took us home to recuperate for a couple hours before eating again.  




  That night, quite a few teachers met at Steve's (the principal's) building for a potluck.  I don't know if it was the run or the presence of good ol' American food, but I went up for refills more than once.
  Although I missed having Thanksgiving with the family (and, let's get real, Mama's stuffing and crumb-topped apple pie), I ended up enjoying myself with the people here.  All in all, it was a successful Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment