Sunday, June 19, 2016

Charlie

For the past year, I have tutored Charlie in math.  I taught Charlie last year in seventh grade and always thought of him as a kind and charismatic student.  After spending anywhere from one to six hours a week with him, though, Charlie became one of my favorite people here.  It didn't matter if I was sad about something, when I left Charlie's house, I had an extra bounce in my step.  The kid just has a way about him.  Granted, more time was spent regaling me with tales of middle school and his childhood than actual math, but it was impossible to get him to focus for too long.  At Charlie's house, I learned about soccer, especially Ronaldo and Zlatan Ibrahimović, new songs (including One Direction's "Night Changes"), what middle school boys really think about, buscapies (mini fireworks), and tons of other topics.  Tutoring Charlie was enjoyable, and as the hours together accumulated, he became a brother to me, filling in the gap of family during my stay here in Cartagena.  



No comments:

Post a Comment