Thursday, June 30, 2016

The End of an Adventure

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.” — Henry David Thoreau

Two years ago, I started off on one of the best experiences of my life, having no idea what to expect.  Living in Cartagena, Colombia proved to be a growing time, full of fun, friends and adventure.  Life was simple:  I could live with minimal things, Guadalupe cooked and cleaned for me, bills and responsibilities were few.  

My job at COJOWA was fulfilling.  I was always treated extremely well, and the staff bent over backwards to make the foreign teachers feel at home and comfortable.  

End-of-the-year party at El Sitio.
Those of us that closed the place down dancing.
Waking up and coming home everyday to my amazing views was something I never tired of.  How can one be grumpy when they have this to look at and the lullaby of waves crashing in the background?  



The friendships formed while in Cartagena gave me a superb social life and a support system while far from home. These people became my family and were always there for traveling, going out, listening, or just taking a walk around the bay.  

Elizabeth
Becky

Michelle and Becky
Not only is Colombia a beautiful place filled with just about every landscape the world has, but its people are some of the warmest and happiest I have ever met.  My appreciation of the country has only grown stronger in my time there, and I know it will always be a home for me. 



1 comment:

  1. Hey Bev, you totally rock the little black dress with red shoes look! This made me tear up a bit. It's sad to say good-bye, but you know how to travel there if you ever need a Colombia fix again! I know TX will hold great things for you!! Love, Aunt Crae

    ReplyDelete