Saturday, September 6, 2014

Realizing My Abilities (or lack thereof)

  For the last few weeks, I have paid a guy, Wilson, to come to my house for an hour each Wednesday and tutor me in Spanish.  I desperately need the practice and figured this was a good way to do it.  This week, he brought his lawyer friend, Javier, because he wanted me to experience a typical Costeño's accent and speed.  It was a good time, and I feel like I learned a bit more about Cartagena's past.  The last fifteen minutes, however, my brain was shot, and I had a hard time following.  I had already attended three mostly Spanish meetings at school that day and stayed an hour later than usual, so my poor head was shutting down on me.  
  Afterward, they dropped me off at el Centro, and I met Michelle for zumba.  The instructor was full of energy and quite entertaining to watch as she had a huge personality.  Unfortunately, this class only confirmed what I already knew: I inherited my dad's rhythm.  (Sorry, Dad.)  This problem was only magnified as I watched all the Costeñas' hips and butts move with amazing fluidity.  Needless to say, Michelle and I stood in the way back, but even then, I could see the twinkle in the instructor's eyes every time she looked over at us.  Although I was unable to follow every move to a tee (let's get real over here: at all), I do believe I still burned some calories because there was no A/C, and the open windows provided no breeze.  I'm sure you can imagine the sweat and smell of the place.  

2 comments:

  1. You may be a terrible dance, but you have a great butt. I have pictures to prove it. Lots and lots of pictures. I will be happy to post some if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Kerri, I knew I liked you! Please do an expose for us all to behold!!! Its all good, Bev. You don't need rhythm to work those calories off. And I think that instructor was just jealous that you could be in the back sloughing off. uh, I mean dripping calories! Ta darling!

    ReplyDelete