Saturday, October 25, 2014

Isla Negra

Our last stop before returning to Santiago was Isla Negra, a small, beach-side town close to the resort.  The house of Pablo Neruda was the biggest draw here.  Pablo Neruda is one of the most famous poets in Chile/South America and owned several houses in which people go to visit.  The house in Isla Negra is supposedly the most beautiful, so we ventured off to see it.  
  The ocean view from the house was the most beautiful I have ever seen as the blue in the waters made it hard to look away.  The pictures really don't do the view justice.



Pablo's house was in the shape of a ship; he was obsessed with ships and the sea.  It's ironic that he rarely ever rode on a boat.  If this was my view every day, I could probably become a poet, too.  

Pablo and one of his wives are buried in the backyard, facing the ocean.  At least, they were.  Pablo's body has recently been exhumed to check for signs of homicide.  He died shortly after the 1973 military coup took over Chile and the president/his friend killed himself before being able to be taken hostage.




1 comment:

  1. I hope I get so important someday that my body will have to be exhumed. I must start planning my suspicious death. Also, I should probably start getting famous.

    ReplyDelete