Monday, February 2, 2015

More on bats...

  For a few months now, every time I walked into my classroom, there was a toxic smell.  Several times, I turned my A/C off just to try to get some relief.  Unfortunately, this had little effect on the odor.
  During a recent conversation with some teachers, I learned this happened to Michelle last year, and it ended up being bat droppings in the air vents.  Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!!  Needless to say, I asked Pedro, my janitor, to check it out.  He cleaned it last weekend, and man, does it smell better!
  The worst part: bat guano can cause Histoplasmosis, a respiratory infection.  When mixed with soil or dust, the droppings create a fungus that releases spores when disturbed.  Ummm...yeah.  The fungus was disturbed every single day when my air turned on.  Thank goodness Pedro took care of the issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment