Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Earthquake!!!!


Upon arriving home from school today, I did what I normally do and gorged myself on Guadalupe's amazing food.  Just as I was starting to clean up, I hear the shells in the kitchen start rattling.  Odd.  The door was closed so no wind could get in.  
Just as I am trying to make sense of the shells, I feel the whole building swaying.  The tall lamp in the parlor and objects on the furniture were rocking side to side.  Worst of all?  I could actually see the floor tilting.  Tilting!  Ummmmm....I'm on the twentieth floor.  If the building collapses, both Bella and I are dead.  
I took a peek at the ground and noticed all the construction workers running out of the building they're working on and several other people hanging out by the streets.  I tried calling the portero, but alas, there was no signal.  The swaying had eased up a bit at this point, so I decided to wait it out and pray that the building would remain standing.  It worked!  
It ends up that there was a 6.2 magnitude earthquake in the center of the country, and Cartagena was just feeling the tremors.  With as freaked out as I was with those, I feel horribly for the poor souls that experience the full power of one.
The construction crews waited a full thirty minutes before shuffling back into the building site.




4 comments:

  1. Soooooooooooooooooooooo, are earthquakes common in Colombia??????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean, what are the chances of them having another one within 2 weeks?????? As in, while Dad and I are there??????????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! But more importantly, we're so glad that YOU'RE okay, Bev! He he he......
    xxxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, you have such a one track mind. Try to see the bright side of things. At least you three would go together! Now isn't that better?

    ReplyDelete