Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Medellin Weekend


A couple weekends ago, some teachers and I took a quick trip to Medellin.  Many of you may have heard of this city as it is the hometown of Pablo Escobar, the infamous drug lord of the eighties.  The city has come a long way and is now one of the most progressive cities in Latin America.  

Several of us stayed in Maureen's boyfriend's mom's house in a nice, older neighborhood.  The mom was extremely hospitable and made our stay quite comfortable.  Plus, she has hot water, and I believe you all know how I feel about hot water.  




Although we went out both nights we were there, my favorite parts were walking through the neighborhoods with Maureen and visiting Parque Arvi.  In order to get to the park, we had to take the subway (one of the cleanest I've ever seen) and then a metro cable (an enclosed ski lift) up a mountain.  The views were spectacular.  At the top, there were a bunch of stands to buy a variety of items, such as wine, fruit, tamales, and trinkets.  (With only a carry-on, I couldn't buy the wine.  Next time...)

There is a pretty hike through forest that leads to a small waterfall along a stream.  The weather was perfect, and it felt great to be getting some exercise after eating all weekend long.  
All in all, a good time.



1 comment:

  1. Hola mi hija! Okay, I have 3 comments..... The first one will be over the phone, he he he he. The second is about that racquetball-sized bruise on your thigh!!!! Holy Toledo, Batman! How did you get that? Third, I hope you realize that the next time you'll be in Medellin is in 4 weeks with Dad and me!!!! Wahhoooooo!!! Does this mean that you'll be buying the wine for all of us????? Hasta pronto! xxxo

    ReplyDelete