Saturday, March 7, 2015

"Santa Fe, are you there? Do you swear you won't forget me?"


Early on the morning of February 25th, I made the long journey to Santa Fe, New Mexico.  The school had consented to my request to attend the MidSchoolMath Conference there and paid for everything, even giving me a food allowance.  Although the conference probably wasn't worth all the money spent, I still enjoyed meeting other middle school teachers and getting different ideas for making math come alive.  Here are some of the highlights:

I stayed in La Fonda, a four-star hotel in the middle of downtown Santa Fe.  Now, I know many of you have not traveled with me, but if I stay in a place with any stars whatsoever, I am treating myself.   From the hot showers to cocooning myself in the king-sized bed, the room was lovely.  The best part: robes were provided!  I have only ever seen that in movies, so it was quite a treat.  

There was a small gym and jacuzzi at the hotel as well.  One of the most relaxing parts was lounging in the jacuzzi with snow landing on my head.

Notice the robe on the bed.
That's right: another robe in the bathroom...plus, a shower with a glass partition.
(I really do not stay in luxury places often...Can you tell?)



From the time I rode in the shuttle from Albuquerque to when I departed Santa Fe, it snowed most of the time.  It started off gradually and eventually became a blizzard (according to the newscasters) by Friday night.  The temperatures were a wee bit chillier than what I'm used to, and of course, I have no winter clothes in Cartagena.  The bitter air sure does make one feel alive, though.  



A car with rotting teeth.  

The St. Francis Cathedral adjacent to the hotel.  


That's right: I wore my rain jacket (thank goodness it
 was warm and long!) and blended in with the snow.



The best part of my trip was going to Walmart.  I know, I know: I'm a whackjob.  
With it continually growing colder, I decided to stock up on supplies at the local Walmart 4.62 miles away.  I was told taxis were uber expensive but that there was a bus that would take me there for only a buck.  
Luckily, I was able to hop right on and enjoy the warm ride with some other...hmmmm...interesting people.  Forty minutes later, I was loading up my cart with hard-to-find items in Colombia.  When I approached the cashier, she was trying to converse with a man but not having an easy time of it.  Asking if I spoke Spanish, I gallantly stepped in and saved the day. (Truthfully, it was very basic Spanish, but it felt good actually understanding the man.)  While the lady was ringing the gentleman up, I found out he is a nice man from Chihuahua, Mexico (this is important for later on in the story). 

Exiting Walmart, I was pelted with glacial winds and freezing snow.  Trying not to kill myself in the slippery parking lot, I trudged my way to the bus stop with both arms full.  After waiting at the stop for ten minutes or so, I peeked my head inside a cigar shop to see just how often the buses ran.  The answer: every 30 to 60 minutes...if I was lucky.  Ummmmm....this could be a problem.  

Trying to avoid frostbite, I paced up and down the sidewalk, my nose steadily turning rigid.  Do you know the Sphinx's nose?  With one slight tap, my nose would end up the same way.  No bueno.  Fifteen more minutes of being thankful I live in a tropical place, I suddenly hear a man asking if I want a ride.  He had been talking on his phone in a nearby drive-thru parking lot and had obviously taken pity on me.  

Now, I realize that what I am about to say will surely cause some horror and believing me to be faulty in my thinking, but that is life.  I took him up on it and am so glad I did.  There are times in life when one must trust in the kindness of strangers.  Ramón was quite friendly, kept up the conversation even though I was finding it difficult to speak with stiff lips, and drove me all the way to La Fonda.  The best part: Ramon is from Chihuahua, Mexico!  I truly love the Mexicanos.


*Mama, this does not mean I need to watch Taken again.  

All in all, my trip to Santa Fe was a good one.  I was even able to stock up on some wine and try their famous chocolate.  The next conference I attend, though, will be in the warmer months.

6 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! Dog-gone, Beverly! Hello! Do you not listen to anything your mother has tried to teach you???? Not only are we watching Taken 1 again, but Taken 2 and Taken 3 as well!!!!!!! Seriously? Hello! Don't you understand that you might not have been able to sit in your beachside apartment and write this blog? Okay, I am trying to take a deep breath, but mi hija, you are too trusting. I'll shut up now but I am UBER EXTREMELY, DELIRIOUSLY AND FANATICALLY HAPPY that you are okay. I'm sorry, I know I sound like a mom now, but that's just what I am so I'm allowed. Por favor, mi hija,tiene cuidado. Lo siento, pero no me lo ayuda. xxxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I'm glad you had a good time! Too bad about the weather but I'll bet it makes you appreciate Colombia even more. :) La Fonda looks lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, Beverly, were these 2 different men from Mexico or the same man you ran into twice? And I don't blame you for taking the ride. Just hope you are more cautious the next time. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do!

    Ciao bella!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola, Aunt Crae! They were two different men from the same part of Mexico. What are the odds? (Actually, probably very high in the southwestern states.)

      Delete
    2. I imagine the odds are very high since they are probably in cahoots with each other to entrap unsuspecting young American girls and take them back down to Chihuahua! There must have been a witness so they changed their minds about you. I mean, they're from Chihuahua, Bev! You've seen their dogs, right? :)

      Delete
  4. Don't get used to those fancy robes. I'm looking forward to some really scummy hostels in Bolivia! :)

    ReplyDelete