Friday, August 28, 2015

Alaska

A week after returning to Bolivia, I flew to Alaska to visit Monica, Thomas, and their new baby, Caleb, who was born on May 28th.  In the beginning, I was rather nervous to do more than hold him as it had been so long since I had actually cared for a baby.  Luckily, as the week went on, I found myself growing more comfortable.  Of course, it was hard not to since Caleb was constantly laughing or showing off entertaining personality quirks.  Plus, I guess it rather helped that he saved all his big spit ups for Monica, which both Thomas and I were more than pleased with.  


Throughout the week, we ate like kings: fresh-caught salmon (literally that day, thanks to Thomas), salads from their garden, etc.  I was also able to see and work a tad at the bazaars for their peanut brittle business.  Seriously, these people never stop working.  It makes my life in Cartagena seem like a cakewalk.  (Well, okay, it is, but still...)


 On one of the days, Monica, Caleb and I drove the two hours to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, a home to orphaned and sick animals.  This gave us the chance to see the animals up close, including bears at eating time.  The scenery throughout the whole drive and at the center were magnificent.  Alaska truly is a beautiful state; every picture was postcard worthy, and it was hard to put my camera down.

A perfect way to see brown bears up close and personal without risking one's life.





    My favorite part of the trip, though, (besides visiting with Monica and Thomas obviously) was seeing just how quickly Caleb transformed in one week.  When I first arrived, I had to use both hands to hold him because his neck wasn't strong enough.  By the end, he was holding his head up no problem.  His focusing skills were noticeably better, too.  At one point, I am pretty sure he even gurgled, "Aunt Bev is my favorite", something Monica will deny, but hey, the kid has taste.  

                                   
                                          Isn't he adorable?  Caleb could sleep through anything.  

1 comment:

  1. Caleb is awesome! I am such a bad aunt. I haven't called you OR Monica for your birthdays. I have got to get my act together! Thanks for sharing this. It's great to see Monica and Thomas looking so great too. You are lucky to have been able to see them all!

    ReplyDelete