Sunday, August 30, 2015

Arizona

The rest of the summer was spent sporadically in Arizona.  There were several game/wine nights, dinners, and get-togethers where I felt I was able to catch up with everyone for a bit. 


Emma (already seventh months old) was sitting up on her own and content with wherever she was, always ready to smile and laugh.  Out of all the time spent with her, I only saw Emma fuss one time, and that was only because she was tired.  I guess you could say I rather like babies now.    



Bianca flew down from Colorado for a long weekend.  Not only was it fun to hang out with her again, but with my limited time over the summer, there was no way I would have had a chance to visit her in Denver. 


It is so nice having an active family.  Someone was always ready to do something.  Both Bianca and Jill accompanied me on separate occasions to hike Camelback Mountain, Mama and I were able to get in a couple bike rides, and gym partners were readily available.  


Although I live by the ocean, water skiing never happens here.  Dad, Paul, Pete and I all went to Bartlett Lake on a rented boat and showed off our skills. The day was a beautiful one, and we headed in just in time before lightning started striking. 


I would like you to note the rooster tails behind all the guys and how they are all leaning in some fashion....




With all my years skiing, I still cannot cut.  Compare the tail behind me to the others.  That's right: my rooster tail is nonexistent.  Luckily, I immensely love just being on the lake, so all I have to worry about is the others getting bored from my non-dramatic turns......until Dad decides to crank the speed up.  During one of my runs, Dad believed he was going too slowly so slammed on the gas and upped the speed over five miles an hour in just a few short seconds.  Yes, I realize that sounds like nothing, but when you're being yanked behind a boat going at breakneck speeds, it's a wee bit scary.  Just saying. 


After Dad decided to see just how fast the boat could go. 


Bella flew to Arizona with me and stayed with the folks while I was traveling.  Jill was kind enough to allow Bella's litter box to stay in her room again and for Bella's hair to get on her bed.  Although I believe Bella to be a very loving and sweet cat, she had other ideas while I was in Bolivia and left a few surprises for the unsuspecting souls.  Of course, the only way to remedy this situation was to give in to her every demand and feed her scraps of meat or anything else her heart desired.  When I returned from my trips, Dad and I would be eating at the table and Bella would saunter over and just give Dad the eye without even glancing at me, where he would quickly give her half his lunch.  By the time Bella and I flew to Cartagena, she was a full pound heavier.  


As long as the top was open, Bella didn't mind traveling one bit.










2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I believe the lunch story with Tom giving Bella half his sandwich! That ain't happening!!! But, I'm with you, Bev. Rooster tails and I just aren't happening! Of course if we had the guys buff arms....but whatever! You sound like you had a blast! Makes the two years seem very short all of a sudden. Can't believe you are halfway through it already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, Beverly, I love your "baby" rooster tail. I love your facial expression even more! Second, Crae, it's true! That rotten cat would start meowing and after the first time of giving her little scraps of meat, she came to expect it. Consequently, it was just assumed by her that Tom and I would share all of our meals at the dinner table. She even got to the point of slinking into the kitchen every day at lunch when she heard me getting food out of the fridge! I'm sure she's missing us even as I type.

    ReplyDelete