Monday, February 15, 2016

A Shout Out to the Costeños

Many times while discussing Cartagena with other Colombians and expats, people comment about the Costeños and their lack of friendliness or willingness to help out, saying that Colombians in other parts of the country are much more welcoming.  While I do not deny there are differences between the various regions of Colombia, I beg to differ on the Costeños' discourteous behavior.

While on the bus just now, we were passing my neighborhood (Marbella).  A man sitting across from me brought it to my attention, probably assuming I was a tourist and not knowing the area.  He must have heard me ask the bus attendant before getting on (fifteen minutes beforehand) if the bus stopped here.

Obviously, this is a small example of kindness, but this kind of thing happens every single day, sometimes multiple times.  It could be anything: an extra effort to shake my hand during mass, a friendly hello, giving up a seat for me on the bus (even making room when I have my travel backpack on), providing directions, being patient with my Spanish abilities, or just making conversation.  There is always someone around to lend a hand or provide a smile.

Are there still impolite people around?  Sure.  But that occurs everywhere, and just like everywhere else, the good people far outweigh the bad.  So, thank you, my dear Costeños, because you are what make the difference every single time I step off a plane and land here in Cartagena again:  I am home.

2 comments:

  1. Nice that you comment on the good AND the not so good! It's a great perspective to go through life with. I always hope for a silver lining, no matter how slim it may turn out to be. Thanks, Beverly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Beverly, I would have to agree about the Costenos. Dad and I found them to be very friendly and helpful as well, when we were there. This of course, has nothing to do with my feelings of the sweltering heat and humidity, but that's another story down the line, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete