Saturday, August 9, 2014

Crib Crawl

     Last night a group of teachers went on a crib crawl, which is mainly a chance to see where everyone lives.  We visited eight apartments and spent some time in each one having a drink and snack.  One could definitely tell who is spending more on living quarters.  There is a building a few blocks from me where some teachers live.  Their views are spectacular as their balconies open up to the whole ocean, allowing them to see the sunset every night.  Out of the newbie teachers that participated, I am definitely glad I have my apartment.  It is well decorated, has great views and is well taken care of.  Plus, I served the better drink, wine, so that had to count for something.  
     We ended up at Matt's place in el Centro, the middle of the walled city.  This place was incredible.  When coming in off the street, there was a hallway with a bathroom and laundry room.  Once upstairs, he had a huge kitchen that opened up to a large patio and garden area.  From there, you could take a metal staircase leading up to a rooftop patio and Jacuzzi area.  Back down by the kitchen, the other side opened up to his room/sitting area.  There were two queen-sized beds and two long couches.  Finally, there was a balcony overlooking the cobble-stone street.  Unfortunately, this place has its drawbacks.  One, the utilities are way more expensive since it's in the walled city and everything is older.  Two, there are mosquitoes there since no ocean breeze filters its way in.  And, three, he pays three times more than I do for this place, more than he gets paid every month.  He enjoys it, though, and it's a great place for a get-together.  
  On a completely different note, the avocados are delicious here.  Becky made guacamole, and it was addictive.  I do believe it's time I try my hand at making some.....or, even better, have my maid do it! 

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to earmark where the other teachers live. So you won't feel like a stranger in almost any part of the city. Plus, I love to see how places are decorated. Wine...the elixir of life as you mom says! Wish I could take credit for that statement! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete