Sunday, August 17, 2014

Isla Cholon

Today, a group of eighteen teachers rented a boat and stopped at various islands throughout the day with the main stop being Isla Cholon.  The water temperature was perfect, and the visibility wasn't too shabby either.  


 When we arrived at Isla Cholon, the beach was packed with boats, and we originally had to swim a bit to reach the shore.  This is an uninhabited island with mostly mangroves covering it, but the locals from nearby villages come to sell jewelry and food.  They had fresh fish and lobster (for a price) they cooked up right there.  

 Our next stop was much quieter and had a nice long stretch of white sand.  The water wasn't quite as clear as there was a lot of debris from trees in it.  Plus, there were biting fish.  Poor Elizabeth had a chunk taken out of her bottom.  Luckily, they avoided me, but I had also gone on a walk with some other girls along the beach so wasn't in the water for quite as long.  

 The way home itself was an adventure.  The tempestuous sea tried at every opportunity to throw us off the ship, but we hung on.  Waves sprayed at us from every angle until we were drenched through and our mouths full of salt water from laughing and screaming so hard.  Thank goodness the drivers seemed to know what they were doing.  

Being rather famished from a tough day of treading water and hanging out on a boat, I decided to try my hand at ordering a pizza.  Let's just say my Spanish is much better in person when the people can see what I'm pantomiming.  I did end up getting some, though, so that's all that really matters.  

That's right: there are two pizzas.  There was a special, and I decided to save money by ordering two.  Now, I know these look halfway large, but believe it or not, they are just personal pizzas.  Small, really small, which is why I devoured them both.  Aaahhhhh......

1 comment:

  1. Those pizzas look big to me, Bev! I find it interesting that they have them! and I love your pics and hearing about your day. I'm glad you aren't sitting around doing nothing. And I am so glad your posterior side is holding it's own...though if you keep consuming two pizzas per sitting...

    ReplyDelete