Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Find

Yesterday, I went on a mission to buy the Lonely Planet Colombia book.  I once again went into el Centro and found a bookstore I had passed last week.  They didn't have the book but pointed me to another store to try.  This went on a few more times until I had scoured every street.  Needing to refresh myself, I stumbled upon a flower market I hadn't seen before in the locals' area of shopping.  A man had a stall from which he sold homemade juices.  I ordered a maracuya (passion fruit) juice for $1.50 and was impressed with how large it was.  It came in those tall tin containers that shakes are made in and was delicious.  I do believe I should return every week just to test out all the fruits Colombia has to offer.  

Realizing that finding the prized book in an actual bookstore might be like finding a single tick in an elephant's thick hide, I stopped at a hostel I frequently pass.  The guy there showed me their book exchange rack (which was pathetically stocked), and lo and behold, there was the Lonely Planet Colombia book.  And, not just any LP book, but the most recent edition of it.  I do not have a book to trade yet but offered to buy it from him.  Instead, he told me to just bring any book when I am finished with one.  So, there you have it: I now have my research material for traveling during the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment